Hi world!! Whatsapp?? hehe. I reviewed the last time the disc of this artist that figures in the “1001 albums that you must hear before you die”. Well this time i make the review about his last album, just before he died killed by his own father. Talking about this album, it claimed the number one on the list of albums of the year from the british magazine NME despite the troubles that Marvin was experiencing (a drug problem, debts, failure in his marriages and finally a lost of his equipment). Let’s listen the album and talk about the results later:
1. Midnight Lady: Bongos and a guitar riff at the beginning of this uptempo and happy soul song. The voice of Marvin sounds great accompanied by an excellent performance of the band, he uses very well the up and down of his voice to create a fun song. This song is filled with a variety of instruments, i can hear some bass guitar, guitar, trumpets, piano synth and even a progressive drum at the end of this song, all of this combined generates and transmit and aura of happyness. Good song! 4/5
2. Sexual Healing: I don’t know how to use the words to describe this song. Pure soul here, one of the best in the history of Soul Music, is very impressive the combination of instruments that creates an aura of sensuality, a perfect song! We can hear here the perfect performance of Gaye in the vocals with notes that are hard to reach joined with a perfect guitar riff, bassline, claps, second guitar, bass guitar, drums and a chorus. This song is amazing! For real, if you never had listen to this song do it right now, you are missing something big. When this track was released, all the attention from the R&B listeners was atracted to Marvin again. This song reached the number-one on the Hot Black Singles Chart becoming the fastest-rising R&B single in five years! and even successfully crossed over to pop audiences and reaching to the number-three on the Billboard Hot 100. Later on, Billboard commented that among only two other singers – Aretha Franklin and Madonna – Gaye became the only male artist to place a song on every position of the Hot 100’s top ten listings. Eventually staying at number-one on the R&B chart for a total of ten consecutive weeks, the song would become the longest-running number-one single on that chart during the entire decade later selling over a million copies. The RIAA would later certified “Sexual Healing” as aplatinum single. So, what you are expecting to listen this? 894948483/5!
3. Rockin’ After Midnight: Excellent groove in this song since the beginning. You can hear some snapping fingers joined with an excellent bass guitar an amazing trumpet sound. The song has a fast tempo, the snapping fingers then turns to claps, and enters the voice of Marvin sayin “Will be rockin after midnight!”, this is another excellent soul song! The song makes an excellent progression that can be noted because the force of the bassline, the drums and the trumpets increase while the song goes on. My ears are entranced by this perfect, amazing, incredible song! the touch of gold is the saxo at the end of the song mixed at the same level with the voice of Marvin and the snapping fingers again! 5/5!!!! EXCELLENT!
4. ‘Til Tomorrow: A downtempo beat in the beginning joined with the string of the guitar and the voice of Marvin that talks about love, this song sounds like the song Save the Children from the last album in this blog. This song is very relaxing, you can listen to it when you are in your home at night. Sounds good but not so great as the others. 3.5/5
5. Turn on Some Music: You can say that one song is brilliant just with the first minutes and this is one of this songs! The beginning enters with a perfect arragement of strings, the voice of Marvin and a bass line that joined creates the perfect sexy and smooth aura. This song is perfect! You can feel the soul, all the instruments fit perfect in the song. I am impressed by the sound of the strings of the piano, trumpets, the bassline and the Saxo! Groove, groove! Great Song! 7/5
6. Joy: This song has the sound of a Rock and Roll song, make me remember Elvis Presley and all the songs from the 50’s. This song is very fast, uptempo in all the instruments since the piano, the bass guitar, and the voice of Marvin. Is a good song that talks about the girl that he loves. It’s ok but doesn’t follows the Soul theme of the album. 3/5
7. Third World Girl: A weird beginning with some jungle screams haha, the dub sound follows a kinda reggae style of song, i can hear a combination of instruments since the bassline from the computer til the sound of the guitar string! A great song because it goes progressive while the song goes on and on. This song was a tribute to Bob Marley because it was recorded after his death in the same year. It has a Great Jamaica fresh sound! Great! 4/5
8. My love is Waiting: This song begins with Marvin saying thanks, and then enters the sound of the bassline arragement with the characteristic guitar strings playing soul, a perfect soul! This song is just breath taking, it involves you in the sound that generates, and could make you feel sexy, feel good and make you enjoy the life. this song was issued initially as a b-side to “Sexual Healing” in the UK but the song received a positive response from UK fans that it was also issued as a single eventually peaking at number-thirty-four. This song is amazing, the arragements are incredible with the sound of the trumpets and the relaxing voice of Marvin that goes progressive from the minute 4:00! Just incredible! 8/5!
This album is just amazing! despite of all the problems that Marvin was dealing, despite all the bad moments he give us this perfect album! all the tracks on it are great! full of Soul! I love this album! and the world too, because Midnight Love peaked at number-seven on the Billboard 200 and number-one on the Black Albums chart, this becomes an eighth number-one album on that chart and his first number-one on that chart since 1977!. It eventually sold over three million US copies certifying the album as triple -platinum while selling a total of six million albums worldwide, it also became a worldwide hit peaking at number-four on the UK Albums chart.
Despite that when the album comes out Michael Jackson was becoming the Mainstream star and the competition from Lionel Richie, from the critics we can know that The album yielded a few R&B-charted singles – “Joy“, which peaked at number-thirty-one on the chart while the album’s lone ballad, “‘Til Tomorrow“, rose as high as number-seventy-eight. The album was ranked #37 on Rolling Stone‘s list of the 100 greatest albums of the 80’s!! Something that i can perceive from the album front is that Marvin was sad, it want to appear Happy and Smiling but his eyes denotes something different. And then he pass away. A big lost of the world of soul. He makes history with all his albums and closed perfectly with a gold like this.
So that’s all, here is the link (for promo only): http://www.4shared.com/file/sSkNFj3w/Marvin_Gaye_-_Midnight_Love_by.htm