Hello world out there; to continue with the discography from Amy Winehouse (that is not as extensive for the reasons we all already know) this time I will analyze his debut album called “Frank”. This title alludes to the nature and tone of Amy’s lyrics on the album. The album had received very good reviews and critics, one of the most remarkable was the one from Billboard: “a stellar album” and said that Winehouse’s vocals are “wobblier than now, yet still astounding”.
About this album Amy said in an interview: “When I say ‘Frank’s in there and I don’t care,’ that is literally a Frank Sinatra CD. He bought me it for Christmas and I was putting all his stuff in a box, like his T-shirt that I used to sleep in. He bought me Frank Sinatra’s In The Wee Small Hours – ironically, cos it’s one of the classic heartbreak albums of all time. Frank as a title for the album is a good word, It is frank… Dunno. Maybe with more time I would have come up with a better title, Sinatra had an emotional connection with music. That was his thing. He had the tone in his voice. But singers? I know a hundred singers that piss on Frank. And musicians. And just as a person: he was an arsehole. But he had an emotional connection to songs that touched everyone, women, men, soldiers”. So with the name of the album we can expect what it comes inside I guess. Without further adieu let’s start:
01. Stronger Than Me (Intro): Great intro! The voice of Amy shines because her up and downs in notes, and the reaching of very high notes. She is accompanied by an excellent band that plays blues; excellent drums, guitar riff, even saxo and a trumpet!The solo at the minute 3 is just amazing! One of the best songs in the album 5/5
02. You Sent Me Flying: A piano and some rain effects, with the voice of Amy performing an excellent song! The beginning of the song has the style of a jazzy song, but then becomes RnB!!! With Djs scratch even!! And the piano in the background!! Just breathtaking!!! Great!!! Another 5/5
03. Know You Now: Hard bass and drums at the start, with birds in the background in an uptempo beat. This reminds me of a Bossa Nova style of song again! The performance of Amy is just incredible! The voice is great! As the song goes on enters a guitar riff and another instruments like flute, just incredible!! 5/5
05. I Heard Love Is Blind: This song is one of my favorites of the album for his lyrics. It has excellent lyrics that make you think about an infidelity and what is love really, all of this involved with the perfect voice of Amy, no drums in this song just guitar riffs and bass. This song is excellent for the aura that creates. Perfect! 5/5
06. Moody’s Mood For Love: I don’t know if are the headset that I’m using but the instruments in this song are incredible: a piano, a saxo, a bassline arrangement, a bass guitar, drums and some instruments that are used in reggae too. The voice of Amy sounds relaxed in a downtempo song with the style of bossa and jazz. Perfect! 5/5.
15. Brother: This song has an excellent beginning with a dj scratch and a heavy drum in the background, and then the voice of Amy enters with a relaxed and soft note. She plays with the plasticity in the notes creating a song that transmits a relaxing atmosphere. The touches of the guitar with the arrangement in the bass line are just perfect to create an atmosphere in a morning at the beach or any Sunday morning when you wake up relaxed. Great! 5/5
16. Mr. Magic (Through the Smoke): The guitar riff solo at the beginning announces a very funky song. Then the bass and the voice of Amy enter generating an excellent mix of guitar riffs bassline an voices (vocal accompaniment is performed by Amy too). This song has a very jazzy funky style with a normal tempo. The end of the song with trumpets closes the song in a fantastic way. Excellent!! 5/5
When I start to make the review for this album I do not expect to find too many good songs because it was the debut album of Amy, but there is a lot of excellent jazzy funky style of songs that are just brilliant. There are bad songs too but the songs that are excellent make me wanna repeat and repeat that track and don’t make me feel tired of it. The album has a style of “glossy admixture of breezy funk, dub and jazz-inflected soul” that is just breath taking.